Thursday, March 1, 2012

In the Trench

All those years in the sandbox as a kid paid off today.  Over the past couple days Cody and I have been digging a decent-sized trench at Cedar Point.  Something we learned very quickly while working together decorating houses and hotels for Christmas this last season was that whenever we're together we get pretty goofy.  It reminds me a lot of when we used to share a room as kids. 

It's been a long time since we've gotten to spend much time together.  In high school I kind of just did my own thing and then I was off to college.  It was wasn't until the end of last summer when Cody moved out to LA and stayed with me that we really started hanging out again, and in all honesty it has been a huge blessing.  My life has been all over the place since graduation with my never-ending search for work and trying to find ways to makes ends meet with student loans.  Having Cody around has made things a lot easier to deal with.  I've often felt bad about being so distant over the last few years, but spending pretty much everyday with him has been so refreshing.

When we were kids (around 5 or 6 for me, 3 or 4 for Cody) my mom used to make us take naps.  Without fail, Cody and I would fake being asleep only to jump out of bed and grab these Cabbage Patch dolls we had (Don't ask me why we had Cabbage Patch dolls.  To this day I have no idea).  I don't know how they make them now but back then they were just lightly stuff dolls with huge (and heavy) plastic heads.  We didn't really care much for playing with dolls (our neighbor used to babysit us and her daughter would force us to play Barbies.  It was awful) so we'd just use their huge heads as baseballs and throw them back and forth as we jumped on our beds.  Pretty soon however one of us would drop the ball (or in this case the Cabbage Patch doll) and their huge heads would slam against the wall with a loud thud!  Immediately we would drop into our beds and pretend to be asleep again.  My mom would crack open the door, peak in to see us "sleeping," and then quietly go back out, none the wiser (so we thought anyways).  We would keep this up until eventually we got so tired we would fall asleep.  This was probably my mom's plan all along.

Needless to say it's been great having him around and even better living out here in Ohio with him.  Ohio is a very different place than I'm used to and in this strange period of life that I find myself in it's really been some kind of awesome that God has been so good to place my brother right here beside me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment